“An affordable dishwasher that actually gets the job done”
If you’re not set on high-end details, and you prefer to have performance instead of style, then the Whirlpool WDF540PADM is the perfect choice. This dishwasher is set more on getting the job done at high levels of performance and offering a great experience through great features than on doing a good first impression. This and the fact that you can actually get a decent dishwasher for about $500 to $600 are ones of the most important advantages.
The Whirlpool WDF540PADM is not a fancy dishwasher and it will probably look a bit out of place in the kitchen (for the beginning). The combination between the stainless steel gray and the black bands on top and at the bottom don’t actually promote a visually pleasing device.
The control panel is wide and situated at the top, on the superior black band. There are three buttons for setting the wash cycle, the options and the delay time (4h). There are also separate buttons for starting the wash cycle and cancelling it while the appliance is still running.
On the inside, the appliance is coated with plastic. Sadly, the space inside can’t be adjusted to fit some oddly shaped dish because the upper rack can’t be moved on the vertical like it happens with more expensive models.
Features & Settings
Even though it looks cheaper than high-end models, the features that it implements make the Whirlpool WDF540PADM position in front of low-end models. Thus, with a lower price tag you will receive features like:
- The device is equipped with three regular wash cycles that go from fast to Heavy. The fastest cycle available will take about one hour to complete but it won’t perform wonders on very dirty dishes. Besides this, there is a Soak & Clean cycle that goes for about 7.5 hours but it will remove even the most stubborn of stains and the burnt cheese.
- Control over the type of washing you desire – the user has the possibility to boost the temperature, select the dry option or set a delay of 4 hours. You can also select to add a round of sanitizing rinse at the end of the cycle.
- The sound levels are a bit higher than with a dishwasher that has a metallic coating inside, but it won’t disrupt the house. The general level is established at 53dBA.
- Large capacity – even though it doesn’t allow versatility by changing the racks, the device allows for increased space as it is capable to receive 15 place settings.
- AccuSense soil sensor, that helps in determining how dirty the dishes inside are and makes the necessary settings when the device is set to the Normal cycle.
- The Whirlpool WDF540PADM is equipped with 2 arms displayed under each basket that spray water at high-intensity in order to make sure the food is broken down and dishes are thoroughly cleaned.
Ease of Use
Sadly, the control panel is not designed for ease of use as three are only three buttons to select out of three menus. The button that selects the desired washing cycle must be pressed 1 to 5 times in order to make a selection, the button that selects the extra options is also toggling between 3 different options and there’s another one that selects between the delay time, the Sanitize Rinse or both. This can be a hassle, especially if the user moves one position ahead by mistake. As there is no way of going back, you will have to toggle again through the entire menu.
The Whirlpool WDF540PADM offers great cleaning performance and offers a series of options that will make the dishes extra clean and sanitized. The bottom rack is designed for dirtier and bigger dishes as more water is distributed in that area, but it won’t leave the ones on top dirty either.
This dishwasher implements a triple filtration system that allows it to clean the dishes almost perfectly and use less water and energy. It is indeed an astonishing kitchen appliance that is both friendly with the environment and affordable for a regular budget.
- Energy efficient
- Great cleaning performance
- High capacity
- The design is pretty regular
- It doesn’t offer versatility with the racks
- The control panel can be a pain to use
The Whirlpool WDF540PADM implements a series of features that recommend it for both big households with children and couples due to the variety of washing cycles and options. It may not be the prettiest of appliances, but it is one that does a great job.