iPage is a shared hosting service with a simple offer, allowing any busy businessman to take a quick and effective decision when it comes to where the is going to be hosted. Their basic plan is only $1.99 per month and includes unlimited bandwidth, free email options, unlimited disk space, 24×7 online support, an easy to use and master site builder, free shopping cart, and free domain registration for the first year. With an affordable basic plan and a generous offer, iPage seems to be the perfect service to start a small business with a tight budget.
However, they do have some limitations that could seem frustrating for a more advanced online business process. These limitations are implemented on memory and CPU usage. This means that, as a site administrator, you don’t have a way to know how much your site is using the webhosting service’s server.
Hosting Plans & Features
To keep things simple, iPage offers only one basic package that costs $1.99 each month and, if the user wants to add extra features, he/she will be charged extra. As a new user you must pay attention as the extra features start with the sign up process where iPage asks if you want WHOIS information to be hidden (an extra $8).
The most important features included in the basic plan are:
- Unlimited disk space and bandwidth.
- Free domain registration for the first year.
- Unlimited mailboxes, forwards and free access to the MySQL database. The email is actually the communication core of your online site as users interested in your services are offered the possibility to communicate with you. iPage understands this and offers its users a safe email service with effective spam filters.
- Access to three site building platforms and a built-in online store so each site owner can create its own site. The platforms vary in difficulty from drag & drop site builders to ones that allow the users to tweak the HTML code behind.
- A safe network equipped with the necessary tools to withstand attacks and protect your business from data theft. Also, the NOC (network operations center) is active 24/7 and effective in maintaining the entire network secure.
- Users have access to Mojo Marketplace where they can get third-party applications for their sites.
iPage implements a 30 days Money Back Guarantee but, if the user wishes to keep the domain name (that is free for the first year), they will charge for it.
|iPage basic plan and features available|
|Price per month||$1.99 + other features|
|Free Website Builder||Yes|
|Free Website Security Software||Yes|
|Free Domain Registration||1st Year Free|
|Free Shopping Cart||Yes|
|MySQL Databases (Data Collection)||Unlimited|
|Google Adwords||$100 worth of|
|Bing/Yahoo! Ads||$100 worth of|
|24×7 Customer Support (Phone, email chat)||Yes|
Among the features a user can add to the basic plan are SSL on the site (+ $49.95) and automatic back-ups ($12.95/year).
The service offers unlimited bandwidth and disk space in theory, but in practice the unlimited disk space is actually limited to 25GB (according to their own support team).
Reliability & Support
iPage is great for both starters and advanced businesses but you can’t expect full control at such a low price. They are among the best web hosting companies in the market and the support is extensive. The support team is courteous and effective answering emails, phones and chats as quickly as possible. Also, the site offers a rich database that helps the user understand better the tools and process.
Still, the basic plan has a few important gaps like SSH, site restoration, free extra spam and site security, and free backups.
Ease of Use
The platform is easy to use, starting with the simple planning method (one basic plan + extra features) and continuing with the site building tools. iPage offers great support for both beginners and technically advanced users.
- Low cost for the basic package
- Generous options in the basic package
- Easy to use website building tools
- Great Money Back Guarantee policy
- Third party apps support
- Extra features are expensive
- The unlimited disk space is actually limited
iPage is a fantastic web hosting service for a blog or a business at the beginning, but if you need more security and advanced features you need to pay extra and it is not cheap. To support their low-priced basic plan, the team had to charge services that other solutions offer for free (site backup for example).